The PR Challenge
Aaron Finkel needed a cost-effective way to promote his New York City-based youth sports information clearing house, New York Sports Connection. Traditional advertising hadn’t paid off, nor had sending a few press releases. So Aaron reached out to FreelancePR.com for some public relations support.
Building on Aaron’s local connections, his brand, business goals and budget, we recommended a student essay contest promoting sportsmanship, with sports celebrities as judges. The sportsmanship essay contest offered Aaron several public relations benefits:
- The contest format allowed for multiple built-in publicity milestones and opportunities for news coverage, such as the contest launch, entry deadline, and announcement of winners.
- Involving notable local sports figures to serve as judges—including one of the highest-rated sports-talk radio hosts in the U.S.—gave NYSC’s new contest instant notoriety.
- The contest gave New York Sport Connection a legitimate reason to reach out to parents and school athletic coordinators throughout the five boroughs and make them aware of NYSC.
- The contest supported NYSC’s branding and positioning as a champion or youth sports in the City.
- Essay Contest Concept
- Public Relations Strategy
- Press Release Writing & Distribution
- Graphic Design
- Copywriting & Editing
- Video Scripting & Production
- Ongoing PR Consultation
Here are a few of the news stories generated by NYSC’s essay contests:
After the inaugural contest, Aaron noted, “I found Kathleen via an Internet search for freelance Public Relations. I’m normally hesitant about working with people who I have not met personally and skeptical about working with someone who doesn’t live and work where I do (New York City). Kathleen’s diligence and passion persuaded me to give her a shot and I’m glad that I did. Kathleen came to me with a creative way to market my web site, something I certainly never would have envisioned and something no other marketer had thought of. She produced a very thorough outline of what had to be done and executed it flawlessly. Kathleen’s confidence and enthusiasm were infectious and she was extremely easy to work with. The project was a huge success and I have Kathleen to thank for helping market my web site in an innovative way that was noticed by many people across New York City. I look forward to working with Kathleen again and recommend her to others without reservation.”